Monday, October 6, 2008

divine appointments

Connections are good. They make the world make sense. They even entice one to creep further in the unknown abyss of life. I've got a story that explains what I mean:
Last Spring, I had to go to the immigration office (La Questura) for an appointment. I had originally been scheduled for sometime last October, but the appointment was missed. All in all, I never ended getting rescheduled until the Spring. I went once with my teammate Tiffany (we thought that the two of us had the same appointment, but you guessed it, we didn't!). Then I was rescheduled again for almost a month later! GRRR! It gets better! When I arrived on time (maybe even early) for my appointment to get my fingerprints taken and to be announced "officially living in Italy" (funny because I had been there since the previous September!), the computers were not working! I had been sitting and waiting for quite a while and had to sit and wait quite a while to get my appointment rescheduled! While I waited I noticed a man who looked to be of some African descent. He looked to be a man of a very calm, kind nature. However, I am the type to keep to myself in most public waiting situations. I'll let you in on something right here: I've been feeling these promptings lately (the past year or so) to ask people if I can tell them about Jesus in my life. I've never done it. I don't want to, but I have a feeling that's going to change?

So fast-forward to the next week when I finally have my appointment: the man is there again. I wait and wait and wait. I had been reading the book of Hebrews on my personal time with the Lord and decided to pull it out to finish clearing up the slew of questions I had about how Jesus was enough. I was also battling in my heart and head against the nudge to speak to the people gathered outside of the Questura that morning. As I am praying, the man said to me in English "I see you're reading James"(which is the next book after Hebrews). I was taken aback, but answered that I was actually just finishing up Hebrews. He introduced himself. I introduced myself. Turned out that he had grown up in Chicago but had lived in Italy for the past 30 years! He too was there to share the Love of Christ with Italians! He had grown up in a Catholic churched family but had never really connected with God. It wasn't until he was stationed in Alaska with the military that he saw God as living. The doors to the world opened at that point and he found himself with a group called Christ is the Answer. His main connection to the group is through Gospel singing but the group spends much time ministering to people throughout the world in so many different ways.


He was at the Questura with his 22 year old daughter, Serena. She is Italian born of an African American father and lady from India! She speaks perfect English and Italian so we passed the waiting time in both! We found out that she, although she has spent her life traveling all over Italy (they are in Rome at the time) with her family and Christ is the Answer, knows some of the same students I know from the University of Salerno! It was such a wonderful experience (especially because nothing fun ever happens at the questura...not to mention anything so intentional as God giving hope!)


So fast-forward to yesterday! I went to the church in Battipaglia for service. I'm saying hello to some of the students I knew from last year and UP POPS SERENA!!!!

God amazes me! He is so kind to lead us on (even when we choose not to follow). I don't mean to sound conceded but I can't wait to see why I was the one at the Questura that day! God is in the business of making connections. With you and with the world. Stand-by.....

1 comment:

Kat said...

that's so cool!

umm when I came to your blog, I went to a page that was like "this blog might violate the terms of service" and something shady like....you might wanna look into that...